High blood cholesterol is the condition leads to an increased level of LDL in the blood. LDL leads to formation of plaque causing artery blockage. Hence blood cholesterol increases the risk of heart attack.
Foods with the soluble fiber help lower the absorption of cholesterol in the blood stream. These foods includes such as:
Omega 3 rich foods are helpful in lowering the LDL levels. It includes:
Certain foods that are high in monosaturated fats are recommended for consumption. That includes:
- Olive oil
Allicin fights LDL, Garlic contains allicin which is really helpful to maintain your cholesterol level.
Here are few recopies which can help you include these recommended foods in your daily diet.
Strawberry Oats Smoothie:
You can have this smoothie on your breakfast or the evening when you feel those hunger pans.
- Strawberries Crush : 3 tbsp
- Oats : 2 tbsp
- Flaxseed : 2 tbsp
- Low fat yogurts : 1cup
- Honey : 2 tsp
- Take a shaker and add three table spoon of strawberry crush
- Add two table spoons oats
- Add two table spoons of flaxseeds
- Add a cup of low fat yogurt.
- Two tea spoons of honey.
- Blend it all together.
- Serve this smoothie chilled.
Although fish helps reduce LDL level, sometimes the way you cook it can negate its benefits.
- Fish Fillet (Salmon or tuna) : 150 g
- Coriander : 1 tbsp
- Green Chilies (chopped) : 2
- Garlic cloves : 2
- Red chili powder : ½ tbsp
- Cumin powder : to taste
- Olive oil : 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice : 1 tbsp
- Take 150g of fish filly in a bowl.
- Apply the seasoning over the fish.
- Make sure you apply the mixture on the both sides and in the inside of fish delicately.
- Marinate the fish for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take a banana leaf and apply 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Wrap the fish by the banana leaf.
- Steam the fish for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Once steamed remove the leaf.
- Sprinkle it with some lemon juice.
- Make sure you serve this hot.
- Put 1 tbsp of coriander in the blender.
- Add two chopped green chilies.
- Add the 2 cloves of garlic.
- Add ½ tbsp of chili powder.
- Add ½ tbsp of cumin powder
- Add some salt to taste.
- Add little bit of water to make a paste and blend.
What to avoid?
Avoid high cholesterol food like:
- Egg yolks
- Red meat
- Fried foods
- Bakery products
Minimize the intake of:
- Clarified butter
Since these foods contribute to the rise of cholesterol level. Eat well and take care of yourself by maintaining the cholesterol level.